Answers to Geography Worksheet
These questions come from a Richard Lederer
column in the Concord Monitor several years ago.
Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina,
South Dakota, and West Virginia.
2. Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Minnesota, Mississippi, and Montana.
Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North
and North Dakota.
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa,
Louisiana, Minnesota, Montana,
Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota,
Virginia, and West Virginia.
6. Indiana (Spanish for "land of the Indians"; Indians derives from India) and New Mexico.
Georgia (for King George II of England), Louisiana (for King Louis XIV of
France), and Maryland (for
Queen Henrietta Maria, the wife of King Charles I of England), North and South Carolina (for
King Charles I of England), Pennsylvania ("Penn's Woods" for William Penn), and Virginia and West
Virginia (for Queen Elizabeth I, Virgin Queen of England) are the most obvious. You can add California
(for Calafia, the queen of an imaginary island i a 16th century book), Delaware (for the first governor
of the Virginia colony, Lord De La Warr), New Mexico (for the Aztec war god Mexitil), and New York
(for the Duke of York of England).
Alabama (Creek); Alaska (Aleut); Arizona (Papago); Arkansas (Sioux); Connecticut
Hawaii (Polynesian); Idaho (Shoshone); Illinois (Illini); Iowa (Quaquiatonon); Kansas (Sioux);
Kentucky (Cherokee); Massachusetts (Algonquin); Michigan (Chippewa); Minnesota (Sioux);
Mississippi (Ojibway); Missouri (Fox); Nebraska (Oto); North Dakota (Sioux); Ohio (Iroquois);
Oklahoma (Choctaw); South Dakota (Sioux); Tennessee (Cherokee); Texas (Tejax); Utah (Ute);
Wisconsin (Algonquin); and Wyoming (Delaware).
10. Mississippi and Tennessee
11. Hawai and Tennessee
12. Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware,
Oregon, Nevada, New Mexico (in separate words), Texas,
13. North Carolina and South Carolina with 13 letters each.
14. Massachusetts with 12 letters.
15. Iowa and Ohio; Hawaii and Louisiana
16. AL (Alabama) and LA (Louisiana); MN (Minnesota) and NM (New Mexico)
17. DE, HI, MN, NM, UT, WV, WY
19. Mississippi - ississi
20. A and n Missouri, Mississippi, and Ohio