The Phantom Tollbooth
By Norton Juster
Chapters 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20
1. Milo - List four words or phrases that describe Milo as the book opens.
What does the package contain? What do you suppose he will do with these items?
2. Beyond Expectations - What is the purpose of the Whether man?
Define these words: expectations, doldrums, lethargy.
Make up a schedule like the one on pages 26-27.
What does the phrase "killing time" mean to you?
How did Milo get out of the Doldrums?
3. Welcome to Dictionopolis - Describe Tock.
What does Tock tell us about time?
What happens in the Word Market?
What is Dictionopolis?
List 10 synonyms for "think".
4. Confusion in the Market Place - What do quagmire, flabbergast, and upholstery mean?
What do the different letters of the alphabet taste like?
What does "bee in your bonnet" mean? What is humbug?
Why do the Spelling Bee and the Humbug fight?
5. Short Shrift - Describe Officer Shrift.
What are two meanings of the word "sentence"?
What did the Which (Witch, Faintly Macabre, Aunt Faintly) do that landed her in jail?
6. Faintly Macabre's Story - Describe the Land of Null (null?)
How were Dictionopolis and Digitopolis founded?
Describe the Princesses Rhyme and Reason.
What are warp and woof in cloth?
7. The Royal Banquet - What can Azaz's cabinet members do?
What was the menu for lunch?
What are half-baked ideas?
Why was Milo's choice of an idea to take with him such a good one?
8. The Humbug Volunteers - What does the King give Milo to take on his journey?
9. It's All in How You Look at Things - How is Alec different from Milo?
What is each member of his family able to do?
What does Alec say about people's Point of View?
10. A Colorful Symphony - What are illusions?
How is sunset described?
11. Dischord and Dynne - What Greek myth is a bit like the event with the orchestra?
What present did Alec give Milo and what was its purpose?
What does the word cacophony mean and how is it connected to Doctor Dischord?
What does Dynne represent and what does he do each day?
12. The Silent Valley - Why was sound abolished in the valley?
How was a sound made in the workshop?
How did Milo steal a sound?
13. Unfortunate Conclusions - How does Canby get his name?
What happens when you jump to conclusions?
14. The Doddecahedron Leads the Way - What is a dodecahedron?
Describe the Mathemagician and how he makes numbers.
15. This Way to Infinity - Describe subtraction stew.
What is infinity and how do the examples in this chapter explain it?
16. A Very Dirty Bird - The Everpresent Wordsnatcher uses homophones when he speaks.
What are some of the mistakes/confusions he makes?
17. Unwelcoming Committee - What do the Terrible Trivium, the demon of insincerity,
and the Gelatinous Giant teach the trio?
18. Castle in the Air - Compare a census taker and the Senses Taker.
What are 5 things the princesses tell Milo?
How do they escape the demons who live in Ignorance?
19. The Return of Rhyme and Reason - Draw pictures of the demons for a booklet
which includes their descriptions.
How did Milo, Tock, and the humbug defeat the demons?
What did Milo learn about his quest?
20. Good-by and Hello - What do you think Milo will do today after school?
What other places might he visit?
Graphic thanks to http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4684236